By: Nova A.
14 min read
Reviewed By: Rylee W.
Published on: Jan 29, 2019
Let’s face it, essay writing can be tedious and boring. Spending hours to write a good essay is difficult, and brainstorming essay topic ideas can be even more confusing.
This is what makes writing essays difficult and time-consuming. Luckily, you can learnessay writingwith practice and by following some good examples. But before that, you should know how to choose a good and engaging topic for your essay.
To help you get started, we have categorized a list of a number of different types of essay topic lists.
Argumentative Essay Topics
An argumentative essay investigates a topic in great detail, forms an argument over it, and defends it using supporting data.
Below are some good argumentative essay topic ideas to help you draft winning essays.
- School students should be allowed to curate their high school curriculum.
- The role of physical education in the school system.
- Should the death sentence be implemented globally?
- It should be illegal to use certain types of animals for experiments and other research purposes.
- Should the government do more to improve accessibility for people with physical disabilities?
- Do people learn the art of becoming a politician, or are they born with it?
- Social media platform owners should monitor and block comments containing hateful language.
- Does technology play a role in making people feel more isolated?
- Will there ever be a time when there will be no further technological advancements?
- It should be illegal to produce and sell tobacco.
- Girls should be motivated to take part in sports.
- Rape victims should abort their unborn children.
- Fathers should get equal paternity leave.
- Do teenagers get into trouble because they are bored?
- Individuals who have failed at parenting should be punished.
- Vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes.
- Covid-19 vaccination has more cons than pros.
- Social media is the real cause of teenage depression.
- Is the American education system perfect for society?
- Recycling should be made compulsory.
Choosing a strong topic is key to writing a great essay. Have a look at our blog to select goodargumentative essay topicsto impress the audience.
Persuasive Essay Topics
A persuasive essay is similar to an argumentative paper. However, in it, the writer wants to convince the readers of their point of view. Simple essay topics would make better essays as they help the students stay focused.
Below is a list of some good persuasive essay topics for you:
- Energy drinks should be banned in schools and colleges.
- Gambling should be banned in the United States.
- Should abortions be banned worldwide?
- Hunting is an immoral act.
- Is it okay to use animals in a circus?
- Harmful dogs should be euthanized.
- Cell phones should not be allowed in schools.
- Teachers should pass a professional exam, just like students.
- Schools should reduce the workload on students.
- Sex education should be mandatory in high schools.
- Vlogging isn’t an actual profession.
- Is LinkedIn helpful for finding a job?
- Social media has played a big role in increasing business opportunities.
- Is Java becoming obsolete?
- Should employers go through the candidate’s social media profiles?
- Animal testing should be banned.
- Violent video games should be banned.
- Parents with mental disabilities should not be allowed to adopt children.
- Alcohol consumption should be legalized in Muslim countries.
- Every person should get Covid-19 vaccination.
For your help, we have gathered a wide range ofpersuasive essay topics. Give it a read.
Descriptive Essay Topics
A descriptive essay describes a specific thing by using sensory data. It is done to engage the reader’s five senses (taste, touch, smell, hearing, sight).
The following is a list of descriptive essay topic ideas for the students.
- The person who is responsible for making a difference in my life.
- Describe a smartphone and its benefits to someone from the ‘60s.
- The most interesting piece of art I have ever seen.
- Describe the experience of falling in love.
- What does a place that only exists in your imagination look like?
- Describe meeting a famous person.
- Describe yourself and your personality to a stranger.
- What will life be like in 2050?
- An experience that changed my life forever.
- Your idea of the perfect day.
- My first trip abroad.
- The most significant event in American History.
- A popular book series that disappointed you.
- A look into my daily life.
- A day in the life of an ER doctor.
- A trip to the museum.
- The most interesting movie I watched during my summer vacation.
- My favorite childhood memory.
- An incident that changed my life.
- An incident that restored my faith in humanity.
Here are some moredescriptive essay topicsto help you find a good idea for your essay.
Narrative Essay Topics
In a narrative essay, your goal is to share a personal experience by telling a story. This creative form of writing depends on how strong and exciting the theme is. The article topics for students given here are carefully curated and would help the students do good in their essays.
Some examples and topics of narrative topic ideas are presented below.
- The experience that taught me how looks could be deceiving.
- A week without internet and technology.
- The impact your first love had on your life.
- How much did your teachers contribute to making you the person you are today?
- An experience that made you realize your parents were or weren’t always right.
- A moment when someone you didn’t like surprised you with kindness.
- The influence technology has had on your hobbies and life.
- An achievement outside of academic life?
- Which school lesson had the biggest influence on your life?
- A day when you fought procrastination.
- The time you faced rejection.
- The time when you stood against your parents.
- An experience that left you helpless.
- The time you prayed to be an only child.
- An act of kindness you can never forget.
- Death of a loved one.
- Your biggest pet peeve.
- Your definition of a perfect weekend.
- The things you regret most in life.
- Your first experience of an air trip.
Choosing interestingnarrative essay topicsis essential to make the content compelling for the readers.
Research Essay Topics
While writing a research essay, the most crucial step is choosing a topic for your essay. Select a topic that is broad enough to compose an entire research essay on it.
Below are some of the best topics for your research essay.
- Effects of violent cartoons on children.
- Should universities provide accommodations to disabled students?
- Events and experiences I agree are causing the increase in terrorism.
- How do technology and gadgets affect the studies of children?
- Do children who attend preschool do better in school?
- Universities are becoming business-driven.
- Does college debt affect the future lives of students?
- Why has the divorce rate changed in the past decade?
- Schools should allow the use of smartphones in school.
- Effective ways to decrease depression among our youth.
- Analyze the relationship between the United States of America and North Korea.
- Why did the UK decide to leave the EU?
- Is it true that students learn better in a same-sex school?
- How does giving kids different gadgets affect their studies?
- Compare the immigration policies of two different countries.
- Events that lead to World War I.
- Pros and cons of studying abroad.
- How has Covid-19 influenced the education system of the world?
- Individual acts that lead to Global Warming.
- Effectiveness of the policies made to control Covid-19.
Looking for more? We have an extensive range ofresearch essay topicsto make the audience fall in love with your work.
Expository Essay Topics
While writing an expository essay, you have to explain and clarify your topic clearly to the readers.
Below is a list of expository essay topics:
- Why do teenagers commit suicide?
- What is the impact of music on our youth?
- What are the consequences of skipping school?
- Why do teenagers use drugs?
- How can pets make you happy and improve your life?
- Consequences of having alcoholic drinks within a school campus.
- How does drug use affect relationships?
- Is global warming a cause of skin cancer?
- Is sodium bad for your health?
- What is the line between being overweight and being obese?
- Why do you want to pursue your desired career?
- Explain how advancements in science improve the quality of life for humans.
- What are some unconventional ways of relieving stress?
- If you could swap your lives with someone, who would it be and why?
- What are some major stress factors in a teenager’s life?
- Why is getting a degree important for job life?
- Pros and cons of getting financial aid.
- How emotional support animals help in treating mental conditions.
- How does prostitution influence society?
- The environmental causes of smoking.
5StarEssays.com has gathered an additional and extensive list ofexpository essay topics.
Tough Essay Due? Hire Tough Writers!
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
In a compare and contrast essay, you evaluate and analyze the similarities and differences between the two subjects. Your reader must be able to form an opinion after weighing the pros and cons you have set forth.
Below are some topics for you to choose for your compare and contrast paper:
- Extroverts and introverts.
- Generation Y Vs. Generation Z.
- Traditional Helicopters Vs. Lifesize Drones.
- Unemployed students Vs. students with a part-time job.
- SAT and TOEFL.
- Persuasive and argumentative essays - How are they similar?
- How were the causes of World War I different from the causes of World War II?
- Education vs. professional career: what is more difficult?
- Real-life or spending your time daydreaming.
- Consequences of earthquake and tsunami: what’s worse?
- Being popular in high school or alone?
- Part-time work or studying for a higher degree?
- Getting married at an old age or a young age?
- Fashion today Vs. twenty years ago.
- Donald Trump Vs. Hillary Clinton.
- Democracy Vs. Dictatorship
- Vietnam War Vs. War on Terror.
- Benefits of drinking tea Vs. coffee.
- Greek and Roman methodologies - Similarities and differences.
- Traditional Vs. distant learning.
Get more interestingcompare and contrast essay topicsat 5StarEssays.com to impress your instructors.
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
The cause and effect essay explains why something happens and what happens as a result of those happenings. A cause and effect essay is a type of expository essay.
Here are a few topics for your cause and effect essay:
- What are the causes of eating disorders?
- Effects of climate change and global warming.
- The effects of the Feminism movement.
- What are the causes of increasing depression among teenagers?
- What are the causes of suicidal thoughts?
- Is keeping a pet effective in calming your mind?
- How does divorce affects children?
- Why are men afraid of commitment?
- Effects of social media on youth.
- Has social media affected relationships among families?
- Discuss the effects of homeschooling on children.
- Causes of heart diseases.
- Causes of sibling rivalry.
- Cramming doesn't help improve test scores.
- Cause and effect of depression in the workplace.
- How do abusive parents influence the mental stability of a child?
- Causes and effects of bullying.
- Causes of obesity in teenagers.
- Effects of taking a balanced diet on health?
- Causes and effects of insomnia.
To get more ideas, visit ourcause and effect essay topicsthat are remarkable and well-suited for a great essay.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
Argumentative essay topics are quite popular assignments in universities. If you are a student searching for a captivating argumentative essay topic, here is a list of ideas you can consider.
- Third world war should be prevented by the Russian and US governments.
- Political policies and practices affecting students.
- Is gun control effective in reducing crime?
- Same-sex marriage and constitutional law.
- Is society over-regulated?
- Are leaders born or made?
- No one should be above the law.
- Monarchy: pros and cons.
- Rules on Political Activities by Federal Employees.
- The most corrupt countries in the world.
- Mercy killing should be legalized in all countries of the world.
- Death penalties should be abolished.
- Third-world countries should be provided with education plans by the developed countries.
- Muslims should not be labeled as terrorists.
- Illegal immigrants should be given equal rights.
- Abortions should be legalized.
- Live-in relationships should be encouraged.
- Professional athletes should be allowed to consume steroids.
- Should physical punishments be given to children?
- Smoking in public should be an offensive crime.
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
Are you looking for some funny argumentative essay topics for your essay? If so, choose a topic from the following list.
- Why do people like watching funny videos?
- What your cat is really thinking.
- Why spam emails should be your favorite type of email.
- Why wearing braces is fun.
- School dropouts are the best in our society.
- Why I don't like country music.
- Types of dates.
- A better way to get things done.
- What organic food really is.
- Things guys do that girls hate.
- How to annoy your friend.
- Why do women pretend that they enjoy sports?
- Things preventing you from completing your homework in time.
- Funny things we see in wedding ceremonies.
- Why are spam emails more interesting?
- Why does Starbucks coffee taste better?
- Why are backbenchers smarter than other students?
- Clowns are scarier than funny.
- Should we be maintaining social distancing even after Covid-19?
- Why is watching movies better than reading books?
Informative Essay Topics for Students
Essay writing requires depth. However, you don’t have to choose a complex topic in middle school, high school, or college.
Here is a list of interesting essay topics for middle school, high school, and college students.
Essay Topics for College Students
- Virtual classes cannot replace the traditional class system.
- Advantages and disadvantages of online classes.
- Is there a need to reform the college education system?
- Assault weapons should not be legal.
- People with a history of mental illness should not be allowed to purchase firearms.
- The taxation system needs to be changed around the globe.
- Kids should not be the target audience in advertising.
- The number of calories should be mentioned with every meal.
- Feminists have effectively improved the workforce for women.
- Is the death penalty effective?
- How to identify fake news?
- How to maintain a healthy life?
- How to treat PTSD naturally?
- Should people be judged on their appearance?
- How is technology influencing the work performance of people?
- Private Vs. public schools
- How to choose majors in high school?
- Impact of legalizing drugs on society.
- Significance of learning social values.
- How to prevent bullying on campus?
Essay Topics for High School
- The choice to join the armed forces should be an individual decision.
- Listening to music can increase work efficiency.
- Being honest has more cons than pros.
- People who have been in an accident value life more than others.
- Embarrassing moments help boost your confidence.
- Kindness is the most valuable personal trait.
- Spontaneity can improve your life.
- Can hobbies help improve the richness of one’s life?
- Dressing properly in the office improves work efficiency
- Being organized can help in school as well as the office.
- Impact of homosexuality on society.
- What is feminism?
- How to overcome fears and phobias?
- Significance of having leadership skills in job life?
- Causes and treatments for bipolar disorder.
- Side effects of consuming antidepressants.
- How important is mental health in succeeding professionally?
- How do teaching methods influence learning abilities?
- Should specially-abled people be allowed to work in offices?
- Discrimination and racism in the US.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That's our Job!
Essay Topics for Middle School
- Every child should have chores at home.
- There should not be any summer classes.
- Should students continue studying during summer vacation?
- Parents should pay attention to the amount of time their children spend watching television.
- Favorite family summer vacation.
- Sports should be mandatory in every school.
- Processed foods should not be part of private and public school lunch.
- Do students still use newspapers for research?
- Every individual should spend a year doing community service.
- The weekend should be 3 days long.
Hopefully, you would have selected a topic for your essay. If you are looking for more ideas, try this freeessay topic generator. You will find plenty of ideas for your essay.
Still need help choosing an essay topic? 5StarEssays is a professionalessay writing servicethat helps you get a high quality essay. We have a team ofessay writers who are professionals and can do your essay.
What is a good topic for an argumentative essay 2022? ›
- Technology & Social Media.
- College & Career.
- Mental & Physical Health.
- Race & Gender.
- Parenting & Childhood.
- Ethics & Morality.
- Government & Politics.
- Art. censorship of art and artists. ...
- Business & Money. small vs large business. ...
- Communication & Personality. technology and communication. ...
- Crime & Punishment. prisons vs rehabilitation. ...
- Economics. cash vs credit cards. ...
- Education. children and education. ...
- Environment. animals. ...
- Family & Children.
- Describe an experience, event or achievement that triggered a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Share the best piece of advice you've ever received. ...
- If you could change just one event in world history, which would you choose to change?
- Earning a college degree.
- Social media.
- Animal experimentation.
- Online shopping.
- Being labeled as a gifted or talented child.
Argument Essay Topics about School
Should school start later? Should the school year be year-round? Is homework necessary? Should students participate in standardized tests?
- Narrative. Narrative essays are traditionally intended to tell a story based on the writer's real-life experiences. ...
- Descriptive. Descriptive essays essentially paint a picture of something. ...
- Expository. ...
- Persuasive. ...
- Compare and contrast. ...
- Reflective. ...
- On 11 lists. James Baldwin – Notes of a Native Son (1955)
- On 6 lists. George Orwell – Shooting an Elephant (1936) E.B. White – Once More to the Lake (1941) Joan Didion – Goodbye To All That (1968)
- On 5 lists. Joan Didion – On Keeping A Notebook (1968) Annie Dillard – Total Eclipse (1982)
- 99Papers. 99Papers is the top essay writing service out there today. ...
- PaperHelp. PaperHelp is a top essay writing service company in the United States with plenty of features. ...
- 1Essay. ...
- Studdit. ...
- EssayPro. ...
- EssayBox. ...
- Prompt #1: Share your story.
- Prompt #2: Learning from obstacles.
- Prompt #3: Challenging a belief.
- Prompt #4: Solving a problem.
- Prompt #5: Personal growth.
- Prompt #6: What captivates you?
- Prompt #7: Topic of your choice.
- Describe a person you admire.
- Implication of Kindness.
- Is there Value in Homework?
- Things I learned in Lockdown.
- How can food be recycled?
- Should Art be a part of the school schedule?
- Should children's reality shows be banned?
- Learning in the Wake of Covid-19.
- Hard Work vs Smart Work.
What are cliche topics for college essay? ›
Here's a brief list of college essay topics that may be considered cliché: Extracurriculars, especially sports. Role models. Dealing with a personal tragedy or death in the family.What essays do colleges want? ›
Colleges look for three things in your admission essay: a unique perspective, strong writing, and an authentic voice. People in admissions often say that a great essay is one where it feels like the student is right there in the room, talking authentically to the admissions committee!How do I find the perfect college essay topic? ›
- It's focused on you and your experience.
- It shares something different from the rest of your application.
- It's specific and original (not many students could write a similar essay)
- It affords the opportunity to share your positive stories and qualities.
Argumentative Essay Topics (General)
Do you think that abortion should be made illegal? Do you think that animal testing should be banned? Is the #metoo movement a great thing? Do you think that manufacturers are responsible for the effects of the chemicals used in creating their products?
Social and Political Issues Debate Topics
All people should have the right to own guns. The death penalty should be abolished. Human cloning should be legalized. All drugs should be legalized.
- Should fracking be legal?
- Should parents be able to modify their unborn children?
- Do GMOs help or harm people?
- Should vaccinations be required for students to attend public school?
- Should world governments get involved in addressing climate change?
- Homework should be banned.
- It's better to be good at academics than to be good at sports.
- Students should be required to wear school uniforms.
- Students should be punished for using curse words.
- Year-round school is better for students.
- 1) Narrative essay :
- 2) Descriptive :
- 3) Expository :
- 4) Persuasive :
- 5) Argumentative :
- 6) Analytical :
- 7) Comparison and contrast :
- 8) Cause and effect :
- Analyse the question.
- Define your argument.
- Use evidence, reasoning and scholarship.
- Organise a coherent essay.
- Write clearly.
- Cite sources and evidence.
An essay is a focused piece of writing designed to inform or persuade. There are many different types of essay, but they are often defined in four categories: argumentative, expository, narrative, and descriptive essays.
Where can I find best essay? ›
|2.||BBQPapers||Best Essay Writers|
|3.||GradeMiners||Best Delivery Speed|
|4.||EssayPro||Best 24/7 Service|
- Descriptive - Paint a Mental Picture.
- Expository - Explain Something.
- Narrative - Tell a Story.
- Persuasive - Convince the Audience of Your Point of View (POV)
- Argumentative - Explore a Topic and Establish a Point of View.
A persuasive essay (also referred to as an argumentative essay) makes use of logical reasoning to influence the reader to adopt the writer's point of view. This essay type works harder compared to other essay types because the writer needs to convince the reader to espouse his position.What are the 8 types of essay? ›
- Expository Essay. The most basic form of essay is an expository essay, also known as a definition essay. ...
- Analytical Essay. ...
- Narrative Essay. ...
- Descriptive Essay. ...
- Compare and Contrast Essay. ...
- Cause and Effect Essay. ...
- Critical Analysis Essay. ...
Sharing how experiences or accomplishments have fueled your personal development can demonstrate maturity and the ability to handle change to admissions counselors. Personal growth and how you respond is definitely one of the most common college essay topics you'll encounter.What should I not write my college essay about? ›
- Inappropriate Topics.
- A Rehash of Your Activities List and Transcripts.
- Relationships, Romance, and Breakups.
- Writing About Your Hero.
- The Sports Story.
- Highly Personal Topics.
- Controversial Topics: Politics, Religion, and More.
An ideal student is always disciplined and lives following conduct. He is always conscious of his duties and responsibilities towards his parents and elders. He is truthful, generous, kind-hearted and optimistic. He has a quest for knowledge. He maintains good health and a sound mind.What are high school essays about? ›
Narrative high school essays ask you to tell readers about events, experiences, and incidents that happened to you, or about a fictional event you imagined. The most common example of a narrative essay is the writing prompts for a personal statement when you apply to colleges.What are the 5 common topics? ›
The five common topics are: definition, comparison, circumstance, relationship, and authority. We start with definition. If two people can't agree on the definition of whatever they want to discuss, there's no point in moving forward with the conversation.How do I find a unique topic? ›
- Identify the topics that resonates with your audience.
- Find the top content trends in your chosen topic area.
- Understand the questions people have about these opportunities.
- Identify where you can uniquely add value to the conversation.
- Now write!
How do I find an interesting topic? ›
The number one rule when it comes to picking a topic is this: pick something you are interested in learning more about. You are going to be spending a lot of time researching your topic, so pick something that you can devote time to without feeling like you are on the rack.What college essays stand out? ›
- A unique, personally meaningful topic.
- A memorable introduction with vivid imagery or an intriguing hook.
- Specific stories and language that show instead of telling.
- Vulnerability that's authentic but not aimed at soliciting sympathy.
Many essays included things that you should not do in your college admissions essay including: Never rehash your academic and extracurricular accomplishments. Never write about a "topic" Never start with a preamble.What are the top 10 clichés? ›
- “The wrong side of the bed.”
- “Think outside the box.”
- “Loose canon.”
- “A perfect storm.”
- “Can of worms.”
- “What goes around comes around.”
- “Dead as a doornail.”
- “Plenty of fish in the sea.”
Yes, every college essay is read if the college has asked for it (and often even if they did not ask for it). The number of readers depends on the college's review process. It will be anywhere from one reader to four readers.How much do colleges look at essays? ›
At the top 250 schools, your essays generally account for 25% of your overall application. This is only slightly behind the 30% for extracurriculars. Essays are actually ahead of the 20% for grades and coursework, 15% for test scores, and 10% for recommendations and interviews.What do Ivy League colleges look for in essays? ›
But, broadly, we observe that the most selective colleges ask for students to demonstrate passion, leadership, initiative, intellectual vitality, and memorability. Remember that admissions committees evaluate these essays as part of a holistic narrative of a candidate—a successful essay doesn't guarantee admission.How can I spice up my college essay? ›
- Be Authentic. ...
- Grab the Reader From the Start. ...
- Focus on Deeper Themes. ...
- Show Don't Tell. ...
- Try Doing Something Different. ...
- Write With the Reader in Mind. ...
- Write Several Drafts. ...
- Read It Aloud.
- Write about something that's important to you. ...
- Don't just recount—reflect! ...
- Being funny is tough. ...
- Start early and write several drafts. ...
- No repeats. ...
- Answer the question being asked. ...
- Have at least one other person edit your essay.
- Should fracking be legal?
- Should parents be able to modify their unborn children?
- Do GMOs help or harm people?
- Should vaccinations be required for students to attend public school?
- Should world governments get involved in addressing climate change?
What is the topic for argumentative essay 2023? ›
Argumentative Essay Topics Related To Education For 2023
Is sex education necessary for students? Are children of illegal immigrants entitled to public education? Is college education mandatory for everyone? Should schools be allowed to use corporal punishment?
- Planning Stage. Understand the Type of Essay Required. ...
- Determine Your Topic. The next stage involves the process of determining a topic to discuss in the body of the essay. ...
- Research Your Topic. ...
- Create an Outline. ...
- Make the Thesis Statement Explicit. ...
- Writing stage. ...
- Give a brief history of your topic. ...
- Write the body of the essay.
- Is the death penalty effective?
- Is our election process fair?
- Is the electoral college outdated?
- Should we have lower taxes?
- How many Supreme Court Justices should there be?
- Should there be different term limits for elected officials?
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
The argumentative essay requires well-researched, accurate, detailed, and current information to support the thesis statement and consider other points of view. Some factual, logical, statistical, or anecdotal evidence should support the thesis.What are the 6 topics for the debate? ›
- Is digital technology making children's lives better?
- Teachers should be allowed to smack naughty children.
- Books are better than television.
- Children should be paid to go to school.
- Computers should replace teachers.
- Every child should have a pet.
- This house would ban boxing.
- This House would ban homework.
- Causal argument. ...
- Rebuttal argument. ...
- Proposal argument. ...
- Evaluation argument. ...
- Narrative argument. ...
- Toulmin argument. ...
- Rogerian argument. ...
- Classical Western argument.
- Emotional Arguments in Essays.
- Ethical Arguments in Essays.
- Logical Arguments in Essays.
- The Argument.
- Writing an Argumentative Essay.
Topic sentences should: » relate back to the argument of the thesis; » concisely summarize the key idea of the paragraph; » can even contain key words from the thesis statement.What is the 5 argumentative essay? ›
The five parts include a strong introductory paragraph with a clear thesis, three body paragraphs substantiated with detailed evidence, and a compelling conclusion. Students should also use transitional words and phrases to guide readers through their arguments.How do you write a 250 word college essay? ›
- Outline your essay in bullet points.
- Only answer the question being asked.
- Don't worry about the word count in your first draft.
What is a good argumentative essay topics for middle school? ›
- Should cell phones be allowed at school? ...
- Should exotic animals be kept in captivity? ...
- Should there be harsher punishments for a person bullying? ...
- Do you feel that specific anti-discrimination laws are a detriment rather than a help to our society?